I have to admit, eating a salad every day is not always easy, but I found a salad that has really helped! Somehow the crunchy sweet shredded cabbage and carrots add a new dimension.
You can always adjust the ingredients to what you have on hand. Let me give you a basic recipe though:
- Shredded purple cabbage– I like the purple because the color actually has some added benefits to your health. It seems sweeter to me, but that could be my imagination.
- Shredded carrots– Carrots are important. They help fight cancer cells and more.
- Now add a few green leaves like baby kale and spinach or such. You can cut them up a bit. I don’t want to admit it, but leafy greens are not my favorite. Yet, when they are mixed with this salad, they are good!
- Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and/or others you might experiment with.
- Crunched up nuts like pecans or walnuts
- Now you can vary this salad by adding things like little tomatoes or green peas or…use your imagination.
- The dressing: Ohhhh, this can be the stickler. My present favorite is a hot, smokey ranch type. I have received it in packaged salads and I have re-created my own using: a hot chili mayonnaise mixed with regular mayonnaise and olive oil.
- Experiment with a sweet dressing or go where ever your taste buds take you on this adventure!
- Salt and Pepper
I try and use Organic for everything!
With pepper…get the peppercorns and grind them as you use the pepper. It tastes much better and all the beneficial volatile oils haven’t evaporated.
Salt… I use to always use sea salt as it is better for you than table salt, but now they are finding so much plastic in the ocean… So, I use the Himalayan Pink Salt, as it is the oldest salt and least defiled.
Good Luck and ENJOY!